Are all terrorists Muslims? Or all Muslims are terrorists? Well, open your eyes, read, and think again. Not all Muslims are terrorists. Yes, agree but the number is not even close to what many think. The fact is in the last five years, less than 2% of all terrorist attacks in the European Union were “religiously motivated”. There were 738 terrorist attacks in Europe between 2011 and 2014. Only eight were inspired by religion.
A ThinkProgress analysis puts forth these surprising but real figures for the West and conservatives to ponder:
- In 2013, there were 152 terrorist attacks in EU countries. Two of them were religiously motivated.
- In 2012, there were 219 terrorist attacks in EU countries. Six of them were religiously motivated.
- In 2011, none of the 174 terrorist attacks in EU countries were affiliated or inspired by terrorist organizations.
- In 2010, there were 249 terrorist attacks in EU countries. Three of them were considered by Europol to be Islamist.
- In 2009, of 294 terrorist attacks in EU countries, only one was related to Islamist militancy.
The Charlie Hebdo massacre incited shock, disgust and horror across the world. However, in the global outburst of solidarity and denunciation of cruelty, a fact was lost that so few of the terrorist attacks carried out in European Union countries were actually related to Islamist militancy. A majority of terrorist acts in EU, in reality, were carried out by separatist organizations.
There are some more startling facts – according to a FBI study, between 1980 and 2005 there were more Jewish acts of terrorism within the United States than Islamic (7% vs. 6%).
Charles Kurzman, a sociology professor at the University of North Carolina, called Muslim Americans “a minuscule threat to public safety”. In his recent report titled Muslim-American Terrorism in 2013, Charles states, “The United States suffered approximately 14,000 murders in 2013. Since 9/11, Muslim-American terrorism has claimed 37 lives in the United States, out of more than 190,000 murders during this period”.
So why do we only hear of Islamist militant attacks, causing ‘great calamity’? Because politicians, law enforcement officials, and corporate media only highlight religiously-motivated attacks over political ones
Radical Islamism in Europe is definitely a threat. But it is not the existential peril it is made out to be by a few xenophobes.
Click here to follow us on steemit.com, the decentralized social media platform with no censorship and get paid for your posts, likes and comments!