Freerice.com is a non-profit website where training your brain results in needy people receiving rice: every time you answer a quiz question correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated to hungry humans through the United Nations World Food Programme.
The aims of the program are twofold:
- Provide education to everyone for free
- Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free
The FreeRice website states its program is made possible by generous sponsors who advertise with them, and to date, over 95 billion grains of rice have been donated since it began in 2007.
The following video shows rice from the correctly answered FreeRice questions being distributed in Cambodia (you can find more videos on the FreeRice YouTube channel):
You can choose quizzes on topics including vocabulary, math, science, and art. FreeRice lists the benefits of doing their vocabulary test as follows:
- Better formulate your ideas
- Write more effective papers, emails and business letters
- Speak more precisely and persuasively
- Comprehend more of what you read
- Read faster because your comprehension improves
- Get higher grades in high school, college and graduate school
- Increase your scores on tests like the SAT, GRE, LSAT and GMAT
- Improve your performance at job interviews and conferences
- Sell yourself, your services, and your products more effectively
- Be more successful in your job
So, next time you feel like sharpening your mind, why not play on Freerice.com? It’s a win-win game.
This article (Freerice.com: Get Smarter While You Feed the Hungry) is a free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author Bullseye and AnonHQ.